A recent study showed that 5.5 million dog owners unknowingly feed their pets’ harmful food at Christmas. This doesn’t even take into account what Fido finds and tries to eat on his own accord. Here are the top 9 items to avoid this holiday season to keep those four-legged friends safe and happy, and check out my own pups, Blaze and Duke’s tips.
Salt Dough Ornaments-These fun to make ornaments can prove to be potentially fatal to your dog due to salt toxicosis.
Blaze and Duke Say-Hang them high and well out of reach so we can’t reach them, or avoid them altogether.
Tinsel: Dogs eat tinsel like we like to each pasta however it can work its way through the gut and into the intestine which can be extremely serious.
Blaze and Duke Say-Please use pet friendly alternative decorations.
Christmas Trees: Pine needles can cause mild stomach upset, cuts to the mouth and in severe cases even perforation of the intestines.
Blaze and Duke Say-Vacuum daily and keep those trees watered, or buy an artificial tree.
Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies: All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas as well as foods that contain them are toxic to dogs.
Blaze and Duke Say-Keep these well out of reach and carefully dispose of the leftovers because we have great sniffers.
Onions: These can cause stomach irritation and lead to red blood cell damage and anemia.
Blaze and Duke Say-All forms of onion can potentially be an issue, even if it is mixed in with other ingredients like stuffing. Be on the safe side and make sure all leftovers are again disposed of properly.
Artificial Sweeteners: Xylitol is found in many foods including some cakes and ingestion can lead to potentially fatal hypoglycemia, acute liver disease and blood clotting
Blaze and Duke Say-Avoid at all costs, we don’t know how dangerous it is.
Chocolate: Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, like caffeine, and it’s poisonous to dogs.
Blaze and Duke Say-Never put chocolate treats or presents that may contain chocolate on or under your tree, we just can’t help ourselves.
Macadamia Nuts: These can cause weakness, tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia within 12 hours of ingestion.
Blaze and Duke Say-Keep these locked away in a cupboard and avoid leaving them out in a bowl.
Toys: Some dogs will swallow anything that looks appealing including children’s toys, even if it’s likely to put them at risk
Blaze and Duke Say-Monitor the opening of gifts and keep new toys out of reach, also don’t forget your dogs they would love a safe present of their own to keep them occupied during gift opening.